Tuesday 20 October 2009

Alexander part 4 (i)

Well, guys, sorry about the wait but here is the next bit of Alexander. As I have said before, I am trying to establish the characters, and then you can enjoy the more exciting bits....if you catch my drift!

***
The lunch bell sounded. A conical flask filled with some viscous purple liquid effervesced loudly on the bench in front of me. I picked it up and poured its bubbling contents down the sink. I placed the now empty flask at the front of the lab and walked back to my bench. Alexander was already packed and ready. His bag, slung over his slender shoulders was full with homework and text books. My work was still sprawled on the desk. I began to pack it away.

"What do you normally do for lunch?" He asked.

"Well," I said, stuffing chemistry textbooks into my satchel. "It depends on what you feel like. I normally sit with Charlie and occasionally a few other people, and we just chat and eat. Have you got a packed lunch?"

"Yes, I think so. Mum gave me one this morning," he said, checking his bag. He nodded, obviously assured that he had something to eat.

"We can do what ever you want, your the new one, your choice. What do you think?" I asked. He made a humming noise as he thought.

"Could we sit on the field or something? At my old school, that's what I used to do. Just you and me?" Odd, I thought, but agreed, for some reason I felt as though I would do anything for this boy.

"Sure no problem. Might have to watch out for footballs though," I said, grinning. "The lower years seem to be always playing some sort of ball game, and for some reason, they always seem
to gravitate towards me." I shook my head. He laughed. We did sit on the field, despite my worries about flying footballs, but we needn't have worried, the footballers left us well alone. Perhaps they knew something was going to happen.
We sat under the big tree at the top of the field, a favourite spot of mine, we sat next to each other of course, he was on my left. The tree offered us some much appreciated shade, and provided some privacy, as it was hard to see people sat under this tree. We ate and talked for a while, just about the general workings of the school, he asked about different people in the form and what they were like. His hippy-like laugh, which occasionally rose from his full lips, sounded like pure sunshine to my ears.

"Have you got a girlfriend?" Alexander asked, mouth full of sandwich. I had just been describing the relationship between Katie and Sam, two people in our form, who had been an item for well over a year. That might not sound like a long time, but to a teenager that was an obscenely long time for a relationship.

"No, I haven't." I replied. I hadn't had a girlfriend for almost two years. People kept asking me out on dates and such, because apparently I was quite good looking, in a geeky way. I, however hadn't even had the remotest of urges towards the girls who were practically throwing themselves at my feet. I was beginning to wonder why.

"Why not?" Damn. He had asked the question, I had hoped I wouldn't have to answer.

"Well, I suppose that I am looking for the right person," I answered truthfully. He nodded in understanding.

"I agree. Do toy think you will know that person when they come around?"

"I suppose so," I said looking at him. "Well, I hope so." He smiled and my heart fluttered. I blushed crimson.


"What?" He asked, obviously my cheeks were very noticeable.

"Erm nothing," I said quickly.


What was going on, why am I blushing every time Alexander smiles? Then it slowly began to dawn on me, that these feelings, the ones for Alexander might actually be more than just the feelings of an initial friendship. But they couldn't be, could they? It was impossible. He was another boy, albeit a beautiful and radiant boy. What do these thoughts mean? I tried desperately to push them aside, so that I could ponder on them further at a later date. I tried to change the subject.

"What about you? Do you have a girlfriend?" Somewhere, deep at the back of my mind, hidden, a small voice was begging and wishing that he didn't have a girlfriend. I mentally told it to be quiet.

"No I don't," He said. The small voice shouted excitedly. "To be brutally honest, I have never had a girlfriend. He sighed.

"Really," I said astonished. "Why not? Gee, If I was a girl I would be all over you in seconds."

"You still could," He whispered.

"What was that?"

"Erm, well I just meant that.....well...erm." He said quickly, the words tumbling out of his mouth. Suddenly a laugh rose unbidden from his small frame. A nervous laugh. It was a laugh that said, "I just messed up big time!" But if I was reading that laugh correctly, what had he gotten wrong? Then I replayed what he had just said again in my mind. He had said it in a way that was almost meant for his ears alone. It had seemed to slip out, as though his brain had hiccuped and out it came. But what could it mean? Oh come on Josh, think. Then, like a tonne of bricks it hit me in the face. My heart jumped with the realisation of what was happening. I drew in a breath.

***
There is the first part of the fourth installment of Alexander, check back soon for the next bit.
Love to all,

Joey..xxxx

4 comments:

  1. I think this story is lovely and I do like your style of writing.

    You may or may not be reading MARC on Kieran's Kingdom. http://kierankingdom.blogspot.com/

    One trick I try to use with that is to write what I think is OK then go through and shorten everything I can. I take out all double references I see and try to find the most economical way of saying something.

    I'm not saying you're being long-winded (no! honestly I'm not) but you might like to try a similar trick.

    ReplyDelete