Sunday 17 May 2009

Alexander -- part 1

Well guys, I did say that I would post some of my writings. This is the first part, the very beginning of a story, simply called Alexander. It is set in a school, in a city. It tells the story of two boys and the blossoming relationship between them. Let me know what you think, and whether you want to keep reading it:


It was Monday morning, again. I walked down the corridor at school, towards my form room. I had my arms wrapped tightly around my history folder. The hallway was chilly and I willed my legs to warm up, stupid British weather I thought. It was nearing nine o'clock, and I was late. Normally, I am one of the first people to arrive in the mornings, but today time seemed to have slipped out of my grasp. I walked into the form room, just as my name was being called by our teacher, Mr. Shelly.

"Yes Sir," I said as I hurried to unpack my things and listen to Mr. Shelly give the morning announcements. I waved in greeting to my best friend Charlie, who was as usual rocking back on his chair. He smiled and waved back, almost falling. I smirked. The notices sounded much the same as normal: Meetings, room-changes, lost property and the special in the cafeteria, which apparently was Chicken Korma. Pretty much all of it was drivel and I purposefully didn't listen. And as an extra Monday morning treat, there was a message from our glorious leader, Dr. Miller, the head.

"Finally, Dr. Miller would like me to pass on this message," Mr Shelly said. There was a groan from everyone. He ignored it. " 'I trust you all had restful and productive weekends. But I have noticed that the standard of uniform has dropped. I would expect that all of you will endeavour to stay as smart as possible all the time, not just upon arriving at school in the morning!' So then, guys lets really make the effort this week ok?" As he finished the bell sounded, loud and piercing.

It hurt my head.

"Right then, see you all this afternoon."

There was a general moving and scraping of chairs and bags, as everyone trooped off to first period. While all this was occurring, I was delving into the abyss I call my locker having already deposited my history folder on top of the nearest bookshelf. I was desperately trying to find my copy of Romeo and Juliet for English, which was first period. The last time that I left it at home, I thought my teacher was going to have a fit. She doesn't like it when people do not have the "appropriate and correct equipment", I think she believes we are all on a personal vendetta against her. Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Josh," said Mr. Shelly. "Can I have a word?"

"Err, sure thing Sir," I said turning around to face him. I caught Charlie's eye and he mouthed "Hurry up". Then he was gone, carried off by the mob that is the rest of my form. I looked back into the plump face of my tutor. He is a nice old guy, of around 45. He wears tacky suits that looks like something from the 60's and has little hair on his head despite telling us that it will grow back. He was a good form tutor and someone you could always approach if there was a problem.

"Why were you so late today, Josh?" He asked. "Normally you are one of the people that I can guarantee to be in their seats on time."

"Yeah, sorry about that Sir, got a bit held up this morning," I said, hoping he wouldn't press the matter further.

"Oh, Ok then. Just make sure that it doesn't become a regular occurrence." He said, I merely stood there and nodded.

"Anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to talk to you about."

I was getting conscious of the time, English was approaching fast, and I did not want to be late a second time in one morning. Already the classroom was empty.

"Well, what did you want to talk about Sir?" I asked.

"Well, I thought I would ask you first as you are one of the most reliable lads in our lively bunch, wouldn't you agree Josh?"

"Well, I suppose so Sir," I said reluctantly.

"Of course you are, don't be modest. We have a new boy starting today and I was wondering whether you would be willing to show him the school, and just generally introduce him to the form. It must be quite daunting for him, coming from a small village somewhere in the Cotswolds. I think our way of doing things here may be a bit of a shock to his system. With it being the first day and all. I believe he is taking the same subjects as you and is timetabled to be in the same sets. Therefore, I thought you would be the best bet for showing him the ropes. What do you say?"

I thought about it. I was a bit sudden, and it was still only Monday morning. Did I really want an extra burden? But then I supposed it would be interesting to meet somebody new and he would probably be a nice person.

"Yeah Sir, that would be ok with me," I said smiling.

He clapped his hands triumphantly. "Wonderful! Well then," he said glancing down at his watch.

"Hmm...It would appear that he, Alexander I think is his name, is currently in the office. Why don't you go and introduce yourself. I believe that you have English first period, is that correct?" He had a slight lisp when saying certain words, it was not very prominent, but it was occasionally noticeable. Funny, I had never noticed that before.

"Yes Sir, I do. I was just getting my books." I indicated towards the lockers and my wide open bag on the table.

"Oh yes of course. Well Josh, finish getting your things together and then make your way down to the office. Be nice and show him where everything is et cetera. I will see you and our new friend this afternoon. Well, chop chop!" He smiled and then turned on his heel and strode out of the room. He was a strange character.

Quickly I threw my stuff into my bag, forgoing the search for my copy of Romeo and Juliet, I'll take my chances, I thought.
The office was about three minutes away, and there was exactly less than one minute before first period started.
It would appear that I was going to be late for old hag, Mrs. O'Connor's lesson after all.



Well, that's the first little bit.

Hope its not too boring, the next bit is certainly more exciting. We meet Alexander and find out about a bit more about Josh and Charlie.

Love,


J xx

8 comments:

  1. A great start, I'd certainly read more. There are two or three errors (for example: ...and listen to Mr. Shelly give recite the morning announcements.) but they're neither here nor there! Small matters!

    So it looks like we have two budding authors in our midst! Lol!

    Nice one Joe,
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, thanks :)

    Have changed that one..my bad

    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good! Looking forward to more of the story.

    I like the way you mix up different types of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe...it's not boring. It's an excellent beginning, and it makes me want to keep reading. More, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alien Son is right, and he's a bloody author himself! :D

    love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, Jayson asked me to make this comment for him, because for some reason he can't post from his PDA... "it's a gr8 start and i'm definitely looking for more...best of luck...jayson"

    See, everyone thinks it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joe,

    I just stumbled across your blog tonight and have been pleased with my discovery.

    I thoroughly enjoy your writing... In fact it's hard to believe that you're so young.
    Keep up the writing, and let me know if/when you get a book published.

    I'm gonna add a link to your blog from mine.

    oh and I'm glad that you seem to have peacefully come to the conclusion that you are gay. it took me a few more years than you to acknowledge that about myself. it's awesome your father has been supportive. keep up your efforts at coming out, and keep up your writting.

    Oh and feel free to add me on MSN: jordan.outloud@gmail.com

    much love
    Jordo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes, more please. I normally really like stories that are starting this way. I wish there was more here already to read.
    :P
    Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete